Discovering Children’s Books is a free resource developed by Newcastle University, British Library, Seven Stories, the Bodleian Library (University of Oxford) and the V&A that showcases the history and rich variety of children’s literature – from medieval fables to contemporary picture books.
Who is it for: primary school children, teachers, writers, illustrators and book-lovers of all ages
- Early artworks, sketchbooks, manuscripts, dummy books and storyboards by renowned authors and illustrators including Lewis Carroll, Edward Lear, Jacqueline Wilson, and many more
- Earliest printed works created for young readers
- Creative activities for children of diverse abilities and interests
- Opportunities for users to create their own content
- Films showing illustrators at work in their studios, including a masterclass by Alex Scheffler on drawing the Gruffalo
- Interviews with celebrated authors and illustrators