Lifestyle magazine Burnt Roti is hosting a short fiction competition for writers from South Asia.
Rules and general criteria:
- All work must be submitted by people of South Asian heritage. International applications welcome.
- Stories must be between 1,500 and 2,000 words.
- You can only submit one story. If you submit more than one, all your submissions will be disqualified.
- You can only submit a story if you have not been published as an author. This means you are not eligible if you are an author of your own book or someone who has an agent. If you have been published in an anthology, online or print publication, then you can still submit a story.
- All entries to be written in the English language, with South Asian languages and phrases in the context of the piece.
- All entries must be original, previously unpublished (print or online).
- Poetry will not be accepted.
- Open to all ages.
- Entrants must submit under their real name or a pseudonym but will be disqualified for using a celebrity or a known name. Names won’t be changed on any of our content if a pseudonym changes in later years.
- Do not include photos or images with your submission.
- Once an entry is received, no revisions are allowed.
- Winning entries will be published online at Burnt Roti at the discretion of the editor in chief.
- First prize: £500 and face time with the editorial staff at #Merky Books
- Second prize: £300 and face time with the editorial staff at #Merky Books
- Third prize: £200 and face time with the editorial staff at #Merky Books
Deadline: midnight on Tuesday 26 May